Maryland Building Codes - Building Codes Administration
MBPS - The Maryland Building Performance Standards (Maryland applicable building codes and standards)
Maryland's law related to building codes is called the Maryland Building Performance Standards (MBPS). It requires each jurisdiction in Maryland to use the same edition of the same building codes that are the International Building Code (IBC), the International Residential Code (IRC), and the International Energy Conservation Code (IECC). The State has modified the IBC and the IRC to coincide with other Maryland laws. The International Building Code (IBC), the International Residential Code (IRC), and the International Energy Conservation Code (IECC), with modifications by the State, constitute the Maryland Building Performance Standards (MBPS).
Each local jurisdiction in Maryland may modify these codes to suit local conditions with exception to the 2015 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC - The Energy Code) and Maryland Accessibility Code (MAC - The Accessibility Code). The Energy Code and the Accessibility Code can be made more stringent but not less by the local jurisdictions. Please refer to the local jurisdictions listed under "Local Ordinances and Contacts" to view local ordinances that may contain their modifications. Since ordinances change and are modified from time to time, please contact the local jurisdictions to obtain their current building code information.
- MBPS Codes and Standards - List of MBPS Codes and Standards - January 1, 2016
- Maryland Building Performance Standards Regulations (COMAR 09.12.51)
MPC - The Model Performance Code (Maryland applicable standards for construction of Industrialized/Modular buildings and State Buildings)
Model Performance Code (MPC) provides standards for the construction of the Industrialized/Modular buildings and construction, alteration, remodeling, and renovation of the buildings that are owned, leased, operated and controlled by the State. The Model Performance Code is not binding on any subdivision of the State unless specifically adopted by it.
- MPC - Industrialized/Modular Buildings - List of Applicable Codes for Industrialized Buildings Required by The State Model Performance Code - January 1, 2016
- MPC - State Buildings - List of Applicable Codes for State Buildings - January 1, 2016
- Model Performance Code Regulations (COMAR 09.12.50)
International Code Council (ICC) Materials
- The ICC Store - How to order Codes, Standards & Code References
- ICC Technical Assistance - Technical Assistance and Interpretations to the I-Codes
- ICC Technical Free Resources - Free Codes
For additional information, contact:
Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation
Division of Labor and Industry
Building Codes Administration
1100 N. Eutaw Street, Room 606
Baltimore, MD 21201