Maryland State Building Codes - Building Codes Administration
Two steps are involved in the State of Maryland for adoption of new editions of building related codes.
- After new editions of I-codes become available from ICC, the Department is required to adopt the new codes for the State within 18 months.
- After the State's adoption, all local jurisdictions have up to 12 months to amend & adopt these new codes for local code enforcement. Each jurisdiction has its processes & timeline in completing the process. Therefore, one should contact the specific local jurisdiction regarding the status of its code adoption.
Additionally, depending on the type of building a project belongs to, there are differences regarding which codes a project should comply with. See the "Code Matrix" below for more information. For example, modular buildings and State owned/used buildings shall comply with Model Performance Code (MPC).
- Effective Dates of Previous Editions of Codes
- Maryland Building Codes
- Maryland Accessibility Code
- Rehabilitation Code
- Minimum Livability Code
- Plumbing, Electrical and Mechanical Codes
- Fire Codes and Ordinance Information
- Code Matrix
- Safety Glazing Code, COMAR 09.12.55 (an official copy is available at the Department of State Documents website.)
For additional information, contact:
Department of Labor
Division of Labor and Industry
Building Codes Administration
10946 Golden West Drive, Suite 160
Hunt Valley, MD 21031