Consumer Advice - Home Improvement Commission
SERVICES TO CONSUMERS
- Make sure the contractor you choose is licensed. It is a criminal offense to do home improvements without a license, and there is no protection from the Guaranty Fund for the homeowner who uses an unlicensed contractor.
- Check the license status of a contractor or salesperson.
- Call 410-230-6309 or 1-888-218-5925. Ask if complaints have been filed against a contractor and whether they have been resolved or are still open.
- Obtain complaint forms by phone or at our website.
- Obtain Guaranty Fund claim forms.
- Request references from a prospective contractor—check them!
- If the contractor is providing lead paint abatement services, see if the contractor is accredited to do this work. Call 410-537-3825.
- Get a copy of the contractor’s current liability insurance certificate.
- Always get a written contract.
- Pay no more than 1/3 of the contract price as down payment.
- If a building permit is needed, ask to see it before work starts.