Skip to Main Content

Taking the Exams - Maryland Board of Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Contractors

Taking the ExamPlease see the “License Requirements” section on our website before applying to take an exam.

PSI Examination Services (PSI)
100 West Broadway, Suite 1100
Glendale, CA 91210-1202

Before an individual can take an examination for licensure as master, master restricted, limited contractor or a journeyman, an application must be filed the Board. The Board will review the application to determine which examination the applicant qualifies. Once an individual is approved, the individual's name is forwarded to the Board examination vendor, PSI, Inc. PSI will then send the applicant information to register to take the examination.

Examination Dates

Examinations for individuals applying for licenses are conducted by PSI, Inc. on a daily basis in Baltimore, College Park, Hagerstown, and Salisbury. Individuals who have already been approved to take an HVACR examination should contact PSI at 1-800-733-9267 for an examination information packet containing exam dates, times and locations of PSI's testing centers.

Waiver of Examination

An applicant may qualify for a HVACR license without having to take an examination if the applicant meets any of the following conditions:

Apprentice – No examination required for entry level license. Online apprentice license application.

Journeyman/Restricted Journeyman

  1. Holds an apprentice license for three years; and
  2. Graduate of an apprenticeship program approved by the Maryland Apprenticeship and Training Council.

Reciprocal Licensing

The HVACR law permits individuals who have heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration licenses in other states*to apply for a Maryland license. Reciprocal licensing is permissible if the state and the Maryland HVACR Board have entered into a reciprocal agreement and the individual:

  1. Meets the qualifications of Maryland's HVACR law;
  2. Holds an active license in good standing in the other state;
  3. Holds a license that is equivalent to the Maryland HVACR license; and
  4. Became licensed in the other state after meeting, in that state, requirements for licensure that are at least equivalent to the licensing requirements of this state, including the number of years of work experience required by the Maryland law.

*The Board currently has reciprocal agreements with Delaware and Virginia.